Tuesday, February 10, 2009

As I have been reading the assigned chapter in Mechanically Inclined, it has got me to thinking more about when it is appropriate to mark grammar mistakes and when to take points off for incorrect or lack of grammar. Back during my undergrad, I minored in TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) because I had at one point considered becoming an ESL teacher if the whole English teacher thing didn't work out for me. During the classes I took to earn my minor, there was a lot of discussion on how grammar works (because many of use were uncertain about our own grammar skills, having a refresher was nice) so that we could teach our current tutees and future students the skills they would need to have to be successful with mastering the English language. Because of this, there were a lot of discussions that came up about how much we should actually mark and take points off for when grading student papers and assignments if grammar is not what is being tested. Originally, I felt that if I were grading a paper, the first thing I would need do is mark up all of the incorrect grammar and fragment sentences and have them re-do those parts to make sure that they actually understand grammar. I have since learned to limit how much I should correct and if grammar and mechanics are not the intended content to be assessed, and it doesn't hinder the writer's message, then I should just let it go. I know that this is always going to be an issue when it comes to grading papers in an English class, but at somepoint I hope to find a good balance!

In Mechanically Inclined, I love the idea of having my students keep a writing notebook. Ever since being in Maggie's classroom at Crosswinds, I have been trying to figure out a way to have my future students keep a writing notebook, and how to get the project started. This book has definitely given me more ideas than I could have ever asked for concerning how to have my students maintain their writing notebook, and how to use it effectively. The step-by-step instructions will definitely help me get on the write track with having my students keep a writing notebook!


RESOURCE LINK:

This is a great resource for finding all sorts of lesson plans!

http://www.readwritethink.org/lessons/index.asp?grade=0&strand=0&engagement=0

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kate!
    I'm happy to tell you that we'll be creating our own writer's notebooks tomorrow! I think that the writer's notebook is a wonderful way to impress upon our students that writing is both an art and a craft; there are places to play and explore grammar and usage and places to contemplate the genius of experienced writers.
    Did you think that Mechanically Inclined was too geared towards middle school students?

    cheers,

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete